My containment and my feedback (Maxime)

After spending a month and a week in Slovakia (including a week in half containment), I do not consider that I had a real Erasmus stay as I imagined and as I had been told. I still have good memories and a good personal and cultural experience. I remember very well my departure from France, it was the first that I traveled alone. I was both stressed and excited. The discovery of the dormitory, the visit of the city, the culinary discoveries, the meetings with Erasmus students, the courses at the university, ... In short, all that is already far away. Arrived in France on March 21, how did I feel during containment? How did I adapt (or not)? And what do I think of what happened?

I had several emotions during this period. Glad to be back in France and see that the people I care about are doing well. But at the same time disappointed to have left Slovakia where I was just beginning to settle down. Many important purchases such as fridge, drying rack, pan, saucepan ... have been used very little, forced to give them to other erasmus students, especially the Italians who had to stay in Slovakia for several months.

At the start of containment, I felt good and looked after myself well. I am fortunate to have been able to join my parents in Valence to avoid to be alone during containment and also to have a garden to get some fresh air during containment. Television, books, board games and netflix series helped me to spend the time during the containment. Also, I talked with my friends on video on social networks and tried to celebrate birthdays in this way.

Unfortunately after four weeks of confinement I had a skin disease. It’s a disease that looks like eczema but it only affects the face and causes a burning sensation. So, I had to make an emergency appointment with a dermatologist on video call. This period lasted a month and was very difficult for me. But once healed, I felt much better and had the joy of living again.

Regarding the courses, the teachers in Slovakia were pleasant on the way to evaluate us and the majority of the subjects went well. Only one subject which seems very difficult "Energy Balances" and which I have not yet validated.

The containment was a difficult period, I really hope there will be an awareness of the environmental emergency.  I’m sad that humans are reacting to the emergency because of a horrible disease but it’s better now than when it’s too late.

Maxime Durand

Comments