How I have managed in the past 3 months (DERAM.F)


On March 17, 2020, containment began in France. At that time I was still in Slovakia where the health situation was less worrying. On March 18, in Slovakia, bars and shops closed. Wearing a mask was compulsory in supermarkets. Our partner university closed on Monday March 17. After this announcement, during one week, we had no news from the university. Surely to implement the new course modalities. So, we started the online courses. But this was very stressful, because the university was not specific about its possible reopening. During two weeks, we could exchange with the Erasmus still present on the spot. Especially while playing football. The situation was nice since we could exchange in English. Then, during the 1st week of April we were repatriated to France, and therefore confined.

I was in confinement with my sister and my mother. For me, a person who loves sports, it was very complicated. I am very close to nature. And surrounded by 4 concrete walls was very hard to design. I lived in an apartment without a balcony. So I spent my day on a chair in front of the window trying to capture as much light as possible in order to tan in the sun. Taking distance courses was sometimes difficult for me. My internet network is not working very well. So I was doing connection sharing with my phone. But at the end of each month, I no longer had an internet plan. In addition, videoconference courses are difficult to follow. And spending that day behind the screens is complicated. But the facetime calls with my friends and the aperitifs at a distance gave me smile and courage.

The confinement situation is very worrying. My sister is close to the sick and to death, the fact that she are on the ground made my mother very stressed. My mother is an overactive woman who has a hard time staying locked up and static. In addition, during this period, everyone is worried about their family, especially for our grandparents. I was lucky because none of my acquaintances died from COVID-19. My sister allowed me to make the most of the situation. Indeed, she asked me to come and work at the EHPAD with her, this brought me a big wave of positive, I finally felt useful, then it allowed me to be active. It was very rewarding on a personal level. However it took me a lot of my time, I gave up lessons a bit over a period of time. The search for an internship was very stressful. Indeed, with the complex health situation, companies are not able to take on trainees. So I had to be less demanding on the subject of my internship.

Like many, I am very disappointed with the situation and this missed Erasmus. Particularly because I have the feeling that I have not improved my English enormously while I want to apply for the alternating next year. Today the situation is still very anxiety-provoking, in particular due to a lesson (energy balances) that I cannot validate despite my efforts.

DERAM Florian

Comments